DEMONSTRATION DAYS ON GLAISDALE BECK
Mon 30th Mar 2015 - Tue 31st Mar 2015
On Monday 30 and Tuesday 31 March we will be running two Wild Trout Trust demonstration days on Glaisdale Beck, looking at habitat improvement works such as small scale bank stabilisation work and coppicing.
The demonstration days are being led by Gareth Pedley from the Wild Trout Trust and everyone is welcome. So if you are a local land manager, resident, member of an angling club or simply love the great outdoors please come along!
Gareth will be demonstrating various habitat improvement work techniques along a stretch of Glaisdale Beck.
We will look at;
- coppicing work and tree thinning to provide the right balance of light and shade over the watercourse
- laying hazel into the channel (along the bank edge) reducing bank side erosion and providing in-channel habitat for fish and invertebrates
- installation of brash revetments and brash mattresses to reduce the impact of flows hitting the bank side
We will discuss the importance of;
- obtaining the correct consent for carrying out in-channel works
- the correct times of year to carry out habitat improvement works
- knowing what wildlife is present
Learning about all these techniques, along with understanding the natural flow of a watercourse and the diverse habitats required by wildlife, will help us all in improving the River Esk and Coastal Streams Catchment.
Each demonstration day will be around four hours long. If you would like to attend either of these days please email Alex Cripps on email@example.com or call 01439 772700 to book your place.
We look forward to seeing you there!
We are lucky enough to have received funding from the Environment Agency to be able to run the Wild Trout Trust demonstration days.
First Added: 05/02/2015 16:47:44
Last Edited: 28/04/2015 09:45:34
All Events > Wild Trout Trust Demonstration Days