In 2013 DEFRA announced its UK roll out of the Catchment Based Approach (CaBA).
The key CaBA objectives are:
- To deliver positive and sustained outcomes for the water environment by promoting a better understanding at local level.
- To encourage local collaboration and transparent decision-making when planning/delivering activities that improve the water environment.
The Yorkshire Esk Rivers Trust (YERT) and the North York Moors National Park Authority (NYMNPA) have been appointed joint hosts for the Yorkshire Esk and Coastal Streams and we have formed an official partnership to work together to improve and care for the Esk and Coastal Streams Catchment. A steering group has also been established with key organisations including the Environment Agency, Natural England, Yorkshire Water and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, research institute Durham University, and local landowner and angling club representatives.
A River Esk 3 Year Action Plan was produced following a launch event in March 2014 where issues in the Esk catchment were highlighted and then prioritised.
Alex Cripps was appointed the Catchment Partnership Officer in October 2014 to help deliver the River Esk 3 Year Action Plan through a variety of projects.
Please see our Projects page for all our latest Catchment Partnership projects and make sure you keep up-to-date with our latest Events.
Our Esk and Coastal Streams Catchment Partnership – Latest Information page has the latest Catchment Based Approach information, including summaries of recent conferences and workshops attended by our Catchment Partnership Officer and YERT Trustees.
Below you will find links to the Catchment Partnership Newsletters, key Catchment Partnership documents and useful information on previous launch events.
Catchment Partnership Newsletters
River Esk and Coastal Streams Catchment Partnership Documents
- CaBA Memorandum of Understanding
- CaBA Terms of Reference
- Catchment Partnership Officer – role and responsibilities (final version to be approved)
- Steering Group Meeting Minutes (October 2014)
- Steering Group Meeting Agenda (March 2015)
- Steering Group Meeting Agenda (July 2015)
- Steering Group Meeting Agenda (December 2015)
- Steering Group Meeting Agenda (March 2016)
Presentations from launch event, Danby Moors Centre 31st March 2014
- Update & CaBA (NB: Large 7MB download)
- High Level Summary ECAP
- How Would You Like To Be Involved?
- Esk Catchment Action Plan Agenda
River Esk Catchment Based Approach (CaBA) Prioritisation Workshop